Sunday, May 1, 2011

Gas Prices and Stupidity

So, when I first bought my car about 2 years ago, I looked up what octane gas I should be using with the phrase, "3000gt octane gas". I came up with the answer of 92 octane. So cool, just put in some premium gas, and I'll be fine.

2 years later (yesterday pretty much), I'm looking for a new car to buy. I found a 94 3000gt with DOHC engine and all extras. On the close up on the dash to show the mileage, I see the phrase, "Premium unleaded gas only". I then remember mine only says, "Unleaded gas only"... Hmm. Awkward.

So I start thinking maybe I don't need premium, but I'm not sure. So I refine my search with "SOHC 3000gt octane gas"... And lo and behold, I find out it since it gives less power, etc. etc., it only requires 87 octane gas...

So I'm all sorts of pissed at myself at that point, so I figure why not figure out how much money I've wasted. I calculated it to about $4500, more or less. If the price difference between the 87 octane gas and the 93 octane stayed about the same the last two years, I threw $4500 at gas companies for no reason.

The amount of face palm I gave myself when I figured this out, cannot be described in words.

Who would of thought 4 letters in a search could affect my life that much in the next two years.

No comments:

Post a Comment